• Your waters break either in a big gush or a trickle of liquid.
• You have vaginal bleeding (unless it's just a small amount or the thick brownish mucous plug that comes away during pre-labour).
• You feel feverish, have a headache or cannot see properly.
• You have severe stomach pains.
• Your contractions are frequent – at least every 5 minutes.
• Your baby seems to be more active than usual.
• You feel anxious or insecure about anything - trust your instincts.
Labour and birth - introduction
Labour - How will I know
Stages of labour
<<Back to index a-z birth